Italian Elegance with Oberammergau (Preview 2020)
Brochure Type: Europe Preview 2020
Experience the epitome of picture-postcard Italy's historic cities, exquisite resorts, rustic towns and idyllic fishing villages. Head behind the scenes in the Vatican as the Bramante staircase is opened just for you. Photo: Oberammergau Passion Play 2020
Additional Included Highlights
- Rome: Enjoy a private guided tour of St Peter's Basilica.
- Florence: During your guided walking tour, see the cathedral, the bell tower, 'Gates of Paradise' on the baptistery and visit Signoria Square
- Witness a leather-work demonstration.
- Italian Lakes: Join us in the social ritual of 'La Passeggiata'.
- Verona: See the well preserved Roman Arena and stand beneath Juliet's balcony in the courtyard of a Renaissance villa.
- Venice: Cruise to St Mark's Square by private launch
- See St Mark's Basilica, the bell tower, clock tower, Doges' Palace and Bridge of Sighs.
- Scenic Drives: Tuscan Hills, Apennines, Dolomites, Italian Lake District.
- Venice: Enjoy a Venetian Celebration Dinner with wine in a restaurant in the heart of this historic city.
- San Gimignano: Ascend serpentine alleyways to the artisan ice-cream parlour of World Champion gelato Maestro, Sergio Dondoli for a taste of his finest frozen treats.
- Tuscany: In the Tuscan countryside, where deep-green cypress trees pierce blue skies and olive groves hug the rolling hillsides, taste the wines of an eminent estate.
- Lucca: Sample 'Buccellato', the sweet raisin bread typical of the region.
- Included Quality Dining:: 10 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 6 Dinners (D) with wine (DW).
- Oberammergau: Dine in a local restaurant amid the buzz of excitement from Passion Play goers and enjoy local hospitality before the second half commences.
- Rome: Gain VIP entrance into the Vatican Museums and be among the select few to admire the Renaissance Bramante Staircase, off limits to the general public. Once through the Popes' treasure-trove, you confront the genius of Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel.
- Tuscany: The Signature Borgo San Luigi is a restored 17th century country palazzo, once owned by the Duchy of Tuscany, offering high-quality service in a peaceful, relaxed setting in the heart of the Tuscan countryside.
- Cortina d'Ampezzo Encircled by the beautiful Dolomite Alps, Cortina's delightful Hotel Ancora is built in the characteristic Ampezzano style with wooden balconies and intricately carved and painted interior details.
- Venice: To the tune of accompanying musicians, you will be serenaded through the atmospheric canals by gondola, past water-lapped doorways and Rococo palaces where the likes of Casanova would have come calling.
- Rome: Visit the Colosseum, still echoing with the thronging crowds and ghostly cries of gladiatorial combat.
- Florence: Stand beside Michelangelo's monumental statue, 'David', in the Accademia Gallery, while an art expert explains the exquisite technique and absorbing history behind the world's most famous sculpture.
- Siena: Explore medieval Siena with a Local Expert and visit the cathedral.
- Cinque Terre: Explore two of the idyllic villages of this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Portofino: Cruise from Santa Margherita and get a taste of the sweet life in this elegant fishing village.
- Oberammergau: Experience the spectacular Passion Play that has made this town famous. Watch from your premium seat as local villagers perform as they have since 1634 in this once in a decade event. An emotive and critically acclaimed performance depicting Christ's last days, this is an event not to be missed.
- Our highly-skilled Insight Tour Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend in a foreign land
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat touring coach, with extended Business Class legroom and on-board restroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included; you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- Plus, we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish - a local tidbit representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination
- Included airport transfers at scheduled times on arrival and departure days.
- Should your flights not coincide with these transfers, or additional accommodation has been booked through Insight Vacations, charged transfers are available. Alternatively, please make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (717) 291-8900 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13867099
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 16 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins.: Board your overnight flight to Europe (not included).|
|Day 2||Rome||Welcome to the Eternal City of Rome.: On arrival at Rome's Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci Airport, your airport transfers leave for your hotel at 09:30, 12:30 and 15:30. In this unique city, ancient monuments happily co-exist with some 900 churches, fine palaces, bustling piazzas, green parks and a vast urban sprawl. At 17:30, join your Tour Director for a Welcome Reception, a fun evening of pizza and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 3||Rome||Exploring the Vatican City.: A Local Expert introduces the grandeur of the city. Start off in the Vatican City, the richest community in the world. While others wait in line, you will be fast-tracked through the VIP entrance into the Vatican Museums. Admire the collection of priceless art gathered by Popes over the ages. Your visit also includes behind-the-scenes access to parts of the Vatican denied to the general public - the famous Bramante Staircase. Then enter the sublime Sistine Chapel, to gaze up and admire Michelangelo's famous painted ceiling. Next door, in St Peter's Basilica, see one of Michelangelo's early works, the Piet??, and the splendid dome completed after his death. Head to the Colosseum where we embark on an included sightseeing tour to learn about the city's ancient past. For the rest of the day, enjoy free time. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 4||Monteriggioni||Renaissance Florence and on to Monteriggioni.: Take the autostrada north to Renaissance Florence. Accompanied by an art expert, venture inside the famous Accademia Gallery to admire Michelangelo's original statue, 'David'. Back outside, see the cathedral, campanile and the baptistery, adorned with the 'Gates of Paradise'. Walk on to Signoria Square with its open-air gallery of Renaissance sculpture. There is time to shop for Florentine leather or gold before continuing to your elegant Tuscan villa near the walled town of Monteriggioni. After spending two days in the metropolis of Rome, your villa resort will be a welcome retreat. Rest in the shade of the lush, verdant gardens, take a swim in the pool, or participate in a variety of leisure activities. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 5||Siena||Gelato in San Gimignano and Siena.: (Relaxed Start) In the morning, visit hilltop San Gimignano, famous for its medieval towers that scrape the azure Tuscan sky. Ascend serpentine alleyways to the artisan ice-cream parlour of world champion gelato maestro, Sergio Dondoli, for a taste of his finest frozen treats. On route back to your hotel, stop at a local winery to sample some of the robust red wines of Tuscany and learn about their origins. Continue on to medieval Siena, where narrow cobbled streets lined with palaces and patrician mansions, lead to Piazza del Campo, scene of the Palio horse race. With your Local Expert, visit the beautiful-striped cathedral. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 6||Santa Margherita Ligure||The Chianti Hills to Pisa, Lucca and Santa Margherita.: Drive through the patchwork of vines, olives and cypresses that typify the Chianti hills. Head for Pisa and see the incredible Leaning Tower, from which Galileo is said to have conducted experiments on velocity and gravity. See also the splendid cathedral and baptistery, decorated with mosaics and designs in solid marble, before continuing to the delightful town of Lucca. At a traditional steam bakery, taste the history in the lavish loaves of buccellato, Lucca's sweet raisin anise bread. Continue along the coast to the pretty seaside resort of Santa Margherita Ligure. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 7||La Spezia||The Cinque Terre.: Head for the port of La Spezia and a highlight of your tour, the Cinque Terre. A UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Italy's most beautiful landscapes. With a Local Expert appreciate the views as you approach one of the picturesque fishing villages by boat. Spend some time exploring the old medieval quarter or the popular sandy beach before returning to your hotel. With the afternoon at leisure, you may wish to make the most of the hotel's private beach before for dining at a local farm-to-table restaurant. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 8||Baveno||Portofino and onto Lake Maggiore.: (Relaxed Start) In the morning, should weather permit, cruise along the rugged Ligurian coast to the elegant seaside village of Portofino, epitome of La Dolce Vita. Admire the coloured houses, browse the boutiques, stay a while in the cafe bars on the piazzetta and watch the yachts moored in the harbour. Next, return to the mainland and head north to the beautiful Italian Lake District, a favourite retreat of the rich and famous where Alpine scenery combines with luxuriant subtropical vegetation. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 9||Cortina d'Ampezzo||Fair Verona and into the Dolomites to Cortina d'Ampezzo.: Drive to the town of Verona, legendary home of Romeo and Juliet. Enjoy free time to admire the well-preserved Roman Arena and Juliet's Balcony. Continue through the Dolomites, to the mountain resort of Cortina d'Ampezzo. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 10||Experience the Dolomites||Experience the Dolomites.: (Relaxed Start) Today is yours to explore the colourful peaks and sheer valleys of the Dolomites - one of the most impressive mountain ranges in the Alps. Why not take a thrilling cable car ride to the summit of one of the peaks for breathtaking 360 degree views? (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 11||Venice||Venice, Queen of the Adriatic.: (Relaxed Start) Descend through the mountains to the romantic city of Venice. A private launch ferries you past canals lined with ornate palaces to St Mark's Square. See the basilica, the Doge's Palace and Bridge of Sighs. Visit a Venetian Arts centre to learn about hand-crafted glass, gondolas and lace, before checking into your intimate luxurious hotel, which is only steps away from St Mark's Square and the Rialto Bridge. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 12||Venice||Venice at Leisure.: (Relaxed Start) Your final day in Italy is free to enjoy the magical atmosphere of this incredible city at your own pace. Mingle with the locals at the open air markets near the Rialto Bridge and explore the back lanes and squares. Later, on your romantic gondola serenade, glide along the atmospheric canals exploring the intimate and hidden parts of this unique city while musicians set the mood with traditional songs. In the evening, celebrate your tour with good food, good wine and good company in a magical setting. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 13||Innsbruck||From the lakes of Venice to mountain-ringed Innsbruck.: Your journey continues north through spectacular scenery as you follow the Adige River. Travel via the Brenner Pass through the magnificent Dolomites and cross the impressive Europa Bridge to arrive at wonderful Innsbruck. Your orientation will show you the 14th century houses of Old Town, the impressive Imperial Palace and the Golden Roof. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 14||Oberammergau||Innsbruck to Oberammergau.: (Relaxed Start) Plenty of time this morning to explore the alpine town of Innsbruck. A short journey north, cross the German border and you arrive at Oberammergau in the heart of the Bavarian Alps and home of the Passion Play since 1634. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 15||Oberammergau||The Passion Play.: (Relaxed Start) After a morning at leisure in charming Oberammergau, take your premium reserved seats to witness the world famous Passion Play, re-enacting the last days of Christ on earth. After a break for dinner in a local restaurant, the captivating performance continues into the evening. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 16||Depart Oberammergau||Depart Oberammergau.: Your journey comes to an end after breakfast. Transfers arrive at Munich Airport at 09:30. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Insight has secured hotel accommodation either in Oberammergau or close by in the picturesque villages of the Bavarian Alps. Single and Triple rooms are not available at Oberammergau. Those who select these booking types will be matched with a traveller of the same gender in a twin room for the duration of the Oberammergau stay. Insight's Great Savings and Discounts do not apply to Oberammergau packages.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class